Have you ever wondered what the Bible says about money?
There are many Bible scriptures about money and the Bible is full of wisdom about our money and our finances. In fact, of Jesus’ 39 parables, over half of them use money or work as a teaching tool.
As we undertake this study, there are five key verses to keep in mind about what God says on our finances:
- Philippians 4:19 – And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. You are probably well aware that putting your trust in the economy, your employer, or your bank account is not a good idea. They can be helping you greatly one minute, and then the next everything has changed. God, however is always faithful. That is why we should always be trusting Him as our supply! God will still supply your needs. Just like He promised.
- Malachi 3:10 – Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.” It is a bold step of faith to start tithing. Cynics sometimes argue that tithing is not required in the New Testament. Tithing opens the door for blessing that can not be opened without doing it.
- 1 Timothy 6:10 – For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. Money is not evil. The love of it is. Having a million in your bank account doesn’t mean that you love it. Having $5 in your account doesn’t prove that you don’t. It is a matter of the heart that only God can judge.
- Acts 20:35 – In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ Giving sets us free, while hoarding entraps us (James 5:2). Giving changes the lives of others (John 3:16). Giving brings blessing back to us (Luke 6:38). Giving allows us to store up treasures in Heaven rather than here on the earth (Matthew 19:21). Giving really is fun – we need to be in on it.
- Proverbs 22:7 – The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender. Getting out of debt is not easy and often requires a fight, but the freedom that comes with it is so worth it.
Here’s wishing us a God directed success in this study!