Introduction: Matthew 28:18-20
- What does Jesus want everybody to become?
- Which is the more popular term–disciple or Christian?
- The word “Christian” only appears three times in the New Testament. It was the name those in the world gave the disciples (Acts 11:19-26), seven years after the church began.
- The word “disciple” occurs over 270 times in the New Testament. Jesus defines the term disciple throughout his ministry.
- Jesus came to make disciples. Only disciples will be saved.
- Calling of the first disciples
- Come follow me (Christ).
- “…make you fishers of men…” Jesus gave these first disciples the real purpose for living.
- If any man…
- Deny self. Notice Christ in the garden (Matthew 26:36-39, “Not my will, but your will.”) Don’t give into moods.
- Carry the cross–daily.
- Gain world…forfeit soul. Lose your life for Jesus…save it.
- If any man…
- Count the cost (vv. 28-30)
- Consider the alternatives (vv. 31-32)
- Love Christ more than any person (v. 26)
- Persecution (v. 27)
- Everything, not jus anything (v. 33)
- Must learn to pray–disciples saw the strength Jesus received from the Father.
- Daily personal relationship with God (v. 3)
- Love one another.
- Be an active part of the fellowship.
- Command–make disciples (given to all).
- Who is a candidate for baptism?
- You need someone to disciple you to maturity in Christ.
- This is the only way to save the world!
Year Preacher Discipler
1 365 2
2 730 4
3 1,095 8
13 4,745 8,192
32 11,680 Over 5 billion
- Am I a disciple?
- Am I a Christian?
- Am I saved?
- What do I need to do to become a disciple?