Part 1 – Sacrificial Giving
Old Testament Precedent – Leviticus 27:30, Malachi 1:13-14
- The Israelites were commanded to give a tenth (tithe) of all their income to the Lord
- The Israelites had many other kinds of sacrifices. (e.g., burnt, sin, grain, fellowship) in addition to the tithe.
- The Israelites actually gave up to 33% of their income
- The sacrifices were to the best available.
- God will not accept second rates sacrifice.
New Testament Examples
- The Widow – Mark 12:41-44
- She was not commended for what she gave, but her heart behind giving. She was totally dependent upon God.
- Barnabas – Acts 4:36-37
- He sold his property and gave all the proceeds from the sale to meet the needs of the church
- The Macedonians – 2 Corinthians 8:1-3
- They gave beyond their ability even though they were very poor.
True Sacrifice Costs Something – 2 Samuel 24:21-25
- David refused to God something that cost him nothing.
- Am I giving my best to God in my weekly giving?
- Do I give to God first out of my pay or from what I have left over?
- What percent if my income am I giving in my weekly contribution?
- What am I willing to sell or sacrifice for Missions Contribution?